AcuraStem is a pre-clinical stage company focused on neurodegenerative diseases. AcuraStem is advancing novel therapeutic approaches for ALS and FTD using patient-derived stem cell models. The incumbent candidate should have experience in neurobiology, stem cells, oligonucleotide therapeutics, and CNS animal models.
The scientist is expected to work independently but in close cooperation and consultation with the AcuraStem leadership and other scientists. The scientist is responsible for developing and optimizing in vitro and in vivo assays to help with therapeutic discovery and development.
The scientist will be expected to assist in the preparation/submission of multiple grant proposals and also prepare full manuscripts for publication based on their research results. The scientist will be expected to establish and maintain IACUC protocols.
We seek a team player who is persistent and tenacious to complete experimental plans with high quality, on time and on budget. The ideal candidate should be extremely well organized to document and communicate experimental results clearly and concisely. The candidate will be expected to provide regular updates, documentation, and communication of project results to senior leadership. The candidates are expected to mentor research associates/ internships to move the project forward efficiently.
The successful candidate with human iPSC-derived 2D and 3D neuronal culture, CNS animal models, is preferred.
- Design, establish, execute, and validate different experimental protocols.
- Establish, coordinate, and communicate project timelines and deliverables with internal and external product development teams.
- Assist and train other research associates to meet the company performance standard.
- Present results at internal and external scientific meetings and in publications of peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Review technical publications, articles, and abstracts to stay current on drug research developments.
- Collaborating with the team, create assays and qualification workflows for drug discovery programs, including routine compound testing of specificity, potency, and pharmaceutics with operational excellence.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Ph.D., with expertise in neuroscience, stem cell biology, or neurobiology.
- A minimum of 3 years industry experience is required for the senior scientist role.
- Expertise in multiple neuroscience areas. ALS, FTD or oligonucleotide therapy experience is also strongly preferred.
- Technical skills including mammalian cell culture (human iPSCs, primary neuron, glial cells), lentivirus production/transduction, transfection, RNA expression (qPCR, ddPCR), protein expression(western blot, ELISA), immunostaining, confocal microscopy, patch-clamping, MEA, calcium imaging, optogenetics, in vivo work with rodents(ICV, IT injection, perfusion), necropsy or tissue processing (fixation, sectioning) is a plus.
- Work experience in a matrixed environment; small company and/or start-up experience preferred.
Job Type: Full-time.
The candidate must already be in the USA and approved to work immediately.